The Sony a7IV has been added to DPReview’s studio scene test. This is a good chance for if you want to buy Sony A7 IV because DPReview provides images from the new 33MP BSI CMOS sensor comparing both to its predecessor and to its peers.
It looks like Sony’s new 33MP sensor has pretty good noise performance, but sensor performance has started to equalize in the noise department this year with almost all sensors above 24MP performing very similarly to Sony’s best 24MP sensor when scaled to similar dimensions.
According to the major US stores, the Sony a7 IV mirrorless camera will start shipping on December 23, 2021.
Sony A7 IV Key Features & Specs
- New 33-megapixel full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor
- BIONZ XR image processor
- ISO range: 100-51200 (expanded 50-204800)
- 15 stops of dynamic range
- JPEG & HEIF 10-bit (4:2:2 or 4:2:0) + RAW
- 828 RAW+JPEG buffer depth
- 5.5-stop In-body Image Stabilization
- 759-point phase-detect hybrid AF system (with 94% frame coverage)
- Improved AF-S speed
- Real-time Eye AF & tracking for Human, Animals & Birds
- 4K 60p video in Super35
- 4K 30p video with 7K oversampling
- 10-bit S-Log3 support, 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording
- Digital Audio Interface in hotshoe
- Updated controls with separate custom controls for Stills/Movie/S&Q modes
- Improved ergonomics
- 3.68M-dot OLED EVF
- Vari-Angle LCD touchscreen
- CFexpress Type A + SD slots (UHS-II support in both slots)
- $2500 body-only price