The development of the Tamron 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 Lens for Sony E-mount. See also B&HPhoto listing.
[Development announcement] The smallest and lightest in its class* 2nd generation “G2” large aperture telephoto zoom lens, 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 (Model A065) for Sony E mount. Equipped with VC image stabilization mechanism and dedicated software TAMRON Lens Utility
Comprehensive optical equipment manufacturer Tamron Co., Ltd. (President: Shiro Ajisaka, Headquarters: Saitama City) has released the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III, a large-aperture telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount compatible with full-size mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras. We are pleased to announce the development of VC VXD G2 (Model A065).
|Product name||70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2
Sony E-mount (35mm full-frame compatible)
|release date||Scheduled to be released around autumn 2023|
|Suggested retail price||to be decided|
* Among large-aperture F2.8 telephoto zoom lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras equipped with an image stabilization mechanism. (As of July 2023, researched by Tamron)
The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 is a second-generation zoom lens that has evolved further from the popular large-aperture telephoto zoom lens “70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056)” (Model A056). It was born as a “G2” model. This model is newly equipped with Tamron’s unique VC (Vibration Compensation). While maintaining the smallest and lightest* mobility in its class, more stable shooting is possible. In addition, the optical design has been renewed from the original Model A056 to achieve uncompromising image quality over the entire zoom range. The minimum focusing distance at the wide-angle end has also been successfully shortened from 0.85m on the first generation to 0.3m. In addition, the AF drive is equipped with a linear motor focus mechanism VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) that enables high-speed, high-precision AF, and is useful not only for still images but also for video shooting. In addition, the 70-180mm F2.8 G2 can be used with Tamron’s proprietary software TAMRON Lens Utility TM and TAMRON Lens Utility Mobile TM . This makes it possible to customize functions according to various shooting styles such as still images and movies. Model A065 also adopts a lens design that considers operability and scratch resistance. Combining mobility and practicality worthy of the second-generation G2, this lens will lead you to a more enjoyable shooting experience with a large-aperture telephoto zoom lens.
- Despite being equipped with the image stabilization mechanism VC, it is the smallest and lightest in its class with a length of 156.5mm and a weight of 855g.
- Redesigned optical design delivers uncompromising optical performance throughout the 70-180mm zoom range
- Equipped with VXD that achieves high-speed and high-precision AF, greatly improving moving object tracking performance
- Equipped with Tamron’s original image stabilization mechanism VC
- Shortest shooting distance 0.3m at wide-angle end and 0.85m at telephoto end
- Compatible with Tamron’s proprietary software, TAMRON Lens Utility, which expands the possibilities of photography and videography
- Realizing high convenience and operability
- Simple drip-proof structure and antifouling coat that supports comfortable shooting
- Compatible with various camera functions such as “Fast Hybrid AF” and “Eye AF” installed in Sony cameras
- Filter diameter φ67mm standardized for full-frame mirrorless series