Sony Alpha Blog published their in-depth review for the YONGNUO YN 50mm F1.8S DF DSM lens.
The Yongnuo YN50mm F1.8S DF DSM is an autofocus lens specially designed for Sony E-mount cameras. They say the Sony lens is an exceptional value with lots of benefits for the price.
Check out the excerpts from the Yongnuo YN50mm F1.8S DF DSM Lens review below:
The Yongnuo 50mm F1.8S DF DSM (328 euros) is a little gem . Low price, very good ergonomics , very good AF, very good sharpness wide open on 61Mpix and excellent as of F2.8, very good background blur and color rendition , very good bokeh balls wide open , lovely rendering for portraits
The main drawbacks are : bokeh balls shape as of F2.8, build quality ok but not excellent, focus breathing important in video.
- Very good (F1.8) toExcellent sharpness (as of F2.8) in the centre
- Smooth background blur up
- Very good contrast
- Very good Bokeh balls at f1.8
- Very good color rendition
- Very good rendering for portrait and skins
- Very Good AF
- Very good ergonomics for photography (focus hold button and AF/MF button)
- Low distortion
- Low CA
- Short min focusing distance (45cm)
- Firmware upgrade via USB-C
- Vignetting at F1.4 but gone at F2.8
- Good build quality but a bit plastic
- Bokeh balls no more circular as of F2.8
- Resistance to flare
- Focus breathing
You can read the full review here