Here is the latest Samyang AF 135mm f/1.8 FE Lens Review. ePhotozine published their review for the new 135mm f1.8 AF lens for Sony E mount and concludes: “The lens offers lovely, crisp images with smooth, pleasing bokeh as well.”
Samyang (branded Rokinon in US) AF 135mm f/1.8 FE Lens ($999 at B&H) is a medium-length telephoto prime lens designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras for portraiture, landscapes and astrophotography. Check out the details of the Samyang AF 135mm f/1.8 FE Lens Review below :
ePhotozine tested the new 135mm FE lens and concludes:
The lens offers lovely, crisp images with smooth, pleasing bokeh as well. This is an indication that the lens is sharp but not so cruelly sharp as to make it uncomfortable as a portrait lens nor is it so over-sharp that the bokeh becomes relatively ragged. No, this one is as smooth as silk, a lovely performer, as slick as the beautifully engineered lens mount that bayonets onto the Sony A7R III.
Add to this low distortion and CA, close focusing, superb flare control and hardly any vignetting and the result is a very well put together lens at a very attractive price. Some may find 135mm slightly long for some subjects, but the rest of this range also includes a 75mm, so there are other options if needed.
In summary, a great lens at a great price and ‘Highly Recommended’.
Samyang Rokinon AF 135mm f/1.8 FE Lens Features
- Medium-length telephoto prime designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 202.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords significant control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques.
- Three extra-low dispersion elements reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color rendering.
- Ultra-precision aspherical element provides natural and refined bokeh.
- Ultra multicoating reduces flare and ghosting for increased contrast and a neutral color balance.
- Linear STM autofocus motor works in conjunction with Sony cameras’ focusing systems for quick, quiet, and precise AF control.
- Custom switch can be used for lens-based control over select exposure or shooting functions, such as aperture selection, with additional settings coming via future firmware updates.
- Focus hold button lets you keep the lens locked to your desired focusing distance. Also allows you to assign functions such as Eye AF in settings on the camera body.
- Focus limiter switch lets you constrain the focusing to two different ranges to suit different applications: 27 to 79″ for closeup shooting or 59″ to infinity for standard shooting.
- Astro-focus mode for astrophotography.
- Eleven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out-of-focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Weather-sealed construction helps protect against dust and moisture.
- Included lens hood helps to block stray light from causing flare and ghosting.
See also this video review about the 3 Essential Sony Prime Lenses. These three lenses are Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 G Master (Bhphoto, Adorama, Amazon), Sony FE 14mm f/1.8 G Master (BHphoto, Adorama) and Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 G Master (BHphoto, Adorama, Amazon).